
This week I participated in Yarn Quest 2010. Yarn Quest is an annual event sponsored by seven local yarn shops. To participate you need to visit each of the shops during the week of the event. I always enjoy Yarn Quest because it gives me an excuse to visit each of the shops and to check out what fun yarns and notions they have. Here's my run-down of this years shop visits:
Black Sheep Wool Co.
- I found some really nice options for yarn, at this shop. I love the Berroco Seduce and Origami yarns. I also fell in love with Tahki Mia, Nubbles, Taos, and the entire Sublime product line. They also had these darling Della Q Tote Bags. If you know me at all, I am a totally sucker for tote bags!
- I think Unwind was the biggest surprise to me. I didn't think that there would be much that I would like...but I found quite a few things. I will definitely be shopping at this store again. They had pastel colors of Berroco Vintage, tons of colors of Berroco Comfort DK, Berroco Sox, and Berroco Cuzco. I think this week taught me that I really love Berroco's line of yarn. I really need to find a pattern that uses Chunky yarn because I love the Cascade Yarn Baby Alpaca Chunky that Unwind offers. They also had Taos yarn (love color 4), a pattern called "Sunrise Bag Pattern" and a cute Lantern Moon Tote Bag. I was so excited when I saw that Unwind offered Scarf in a Kit sets. The yarns featured in these kits were gorgeous. I think I need to make at least one as a gift for someone. One of my favorite things though, was the patterns and hand-dyed yarn from mybootee.com.
- My overall impression of this store was that it is small and crowded and the patterns and samples seem, to me, to be a little outdated. I found a couple things that I like, but I don't know that I will make it back to this store again (except, at Yarn Quest next year). The only two things that I really liked were two different kinds of yarn: Regia Bamboo and Berroco Love It.
- It was interesting to visit this shop this year. Last year, it was brand new so it was nice to see how they have grown over the past year. They have built quite a customer base and offer quite a few things that I did not see at any of the other shops. I really want to get the Knitting 24/7 book (probably on amazon.com), the circular needle ID tags, a couple of the Flying Bicycle Project Bags, and Baby Sophisticate yarn.
- This shop was my least favorite of the entire bunch. I only spent a couple of minutes in the shop...and it was too long. I did not find a single thing in the entire store that I wanted. To give the store a little break...they mostly offer spinning supplies...so this is probably your shop if you are a spinner.
- This shop, along with Kamille's, was my favorite. It is bright and clean...and has tons to offer. I get inspired when I walk through the doors and see all of the yarn and supplies. I have a very large list of items that I want to go back for...as soon as I save up a small fortune! Here are a bunch of the things that I fell in love with: Knit Happy Notebooks and Post-It organizer, Clover Pom Pom Makers in three different sizes, Stitch Dots by PolarKnits, Stretchy DPN cases, Ammee's Babies kits and books, Kyle's Kap pattern, Double Trio Reversible Cable Scarf pattern, Timeless Totes, Sirdar product line, Tinkerbell by Peter Pan yarn, #292 DK Baby Berroco Book, Bear Hugs by Plymouth Yarns, Crocheter's Companion book, Resource Books by National Needle Arts Association, the entire Sublime product line (especially book #612), Simple Lace Baby Blanket pattern and Berroco Weekend yarn, Spuds & Chloe yarns and patterns, and Plymouth Yarn Co. Baby Bunny yarn (1701). I cannot wait until I can go back and pick out some of the fun things that I found!
- This shop is still my favorite. I love the cabin, the rustic feel, and the amazing yarn. Kamille's always has a great selection. I didn't spend too much time here during the Yarn Quest because I am here all the time anyway. However, I did snag a great Namaste bag at a great price. I am excited finally own the Monroe in red!
No comments:
Post a Comment