Friday, May 23, 2008

A Visit to Primary Children's Hospital


As most of you know, if you read the post about our day at the park, Elizabeth had a nasty fall while climbing the stairs to the slide. I was worried that she may have a concussion, so I called her pediatrician to learn about any symptoms that I should be looking out for.


When the nurse heard that Elizabeth fell down the stairs and hit her head, she suggested that I take her the Emergency Room to get checked out. I thought that taking her to the hospital was a little drastic since she seemed to be fine. She did not have a bump on her head, she did not have a bruise, she was acting fine. I decided that I would just watch her to see if she started to act any differently. I did not want to drag Elizabeth all the way up to the hospital, spend a day sitting in the waiting room, and spend $75.00 for the co-pay...if she was fine.

We'll yesterday morning, her pediatrician's office called. They were checking with me because they did not see that Elizabeth was admitted to the Emergency Room, and they wanted to see if she was doing okay. When I explained that I thought she was fine, the nurse again suggested that I should take her to the hospital so that she could be checked. They mentioned that head injuries could result in a blood clot and that Elizabeth should have a scan of her brain. As soon as the nurse mentioned a blood clot, we were in the car on the way to the hospital.

When we got to the Emergency Room, they weighed Elizabeth (she is a little over 17 pounds now!) and checked us in to our own room. Within a few minutes, a nurse was in to check on us. After a few more minutes, a nurse practitioner came in to check Elizabeth out. She looked in her ears and mouth, felt her tummy, and looked for any bruising on her entire body. In addition, she felt her head to make sure that there were no soft spots or swelling. She thought that everything looked great but had the doctor come in to take another look.

The doctor was in a few moments later and did all of the same tests. Elizabeth passed with flying colors and we received the great news....Elizabeth was fine! I was so relieved.

1 comment:

Mollie said...

Poor little one! I hate when kids get hurt...unfortunately, they do it all the time. So glad she is okay:o) Adorable pictures...the story and pictures will make a cute scrapbook page!