Monday, April 26, 2010

Four Day Appointment


Today we took Zachary in for his Four Day Wellness Check. I was looking forward to this appointment because we would be meeting Zachary's new pediatrician. Also, I wanted to see how Zachary is doing because he has been losing weight and his Bilirubin levels have been increasing. We learned that Zachary now weighs 7 pounds 7 ounces, which is an 11% loss of weight from his birth weight.

Dr. Palmieri was extremely concerned with the amount of weight loss, so she immediately had Karen, a Lactation Consultant come in to work with me. We were able to find ways for me to help Zachary latch on and nurse better. Also, Karen helped me because I was extremely engorged and had a lot of discomfort. I am so grateful for the assistance that Karen provided.

We also had Zachary's Bilirubin levels tested. His levels have slowly been on the rise so we have been watching him closely to see if we need to do anything to help him. Today his Bilirubin level was 18.3, which is pretty high. Dr. Palmieri prescribed the use of a Bilibed Phototherapy Unit until his levels are lowered to 12 or less.

As soon as we got home from our appointment, we were contacted by Intermountain Home Care to arrange for the drop off of the Bilibed. Needless to say, I am so worried about my little baby boy. Dr. Palmieri told us that we will need to keep Zachary in the Bilibed 24/7 except for nursing and diaper changes. I am so sad that I will not be able to hold and snuggle my little baby boy. I hope that he will not have to use the Bilibed for very long.

Since I knew that I would not be able to hold Zachary for quite a while, I spent the rest of the time before the Bilibed was delivered, just laying on the couch snuggling with Zachary. It felt great to hold him so close.

My sweet friend, Lisa brought dinner for us to tonight. I am so thankful for amazing friends that are willing to help us when we are in need. Lisa bringing dinner tonight allowed me more time to spend snuggling with my little Zachary...and for that I will forever be grateful.

No comments: