
Yesterday at Zachary's Four Day Wellness Check-Up, we discovered that his Bilirubin levels have continued to rise so Dr. Palmieri prescribed the use of a Bilibed Phototherapy Unit. We were told that Zachary would need to be in the Bilibed 24/7, except for nursing and diaper changes, until his Bilirubin levels were lowered to acceptable levels. Needless to say, I had a little meltdown when I learned that I would not be able to hold, snuggle and cuddle my new little baby boy.
Intermountain Home Care delivered the Bilibed around 8:00pm last night and helped get it all set up. Zachary did not seem to mind being in the bed, but I hated it. I couldn't stand just seeing him lay there. It broke my heart. Most of the night, I just stood by the side of the changing table and held his hand.

When he would wake up, I would talk to him and sing him songs. It was a long night but I did not want him to be alone.

After his night in the Bilibed, I had to bring him to the pediatrician today so that they could re-test his Bilirubin levels. I also met with the lactation consultant to get some additional help with nursing and to get Zachary weighed. He weighed in at 7 pounds 8 1/2 ounces, which is a 1 1/2 ounce increase. Hopefully he will continue to gain weight steadily from now on.
Once I got home, we received a call from the pediatrician's office that Zachary no longer needs to use the Bilibed. Overnight his Bilirubin levels went from 18.3 to 12.2. It makes me so happy to know that he only needed the Bilibed for one night. I don't know if I could have handled it for any longer!
I am so grateful for all of the love and support that we have received from family and friends. Tonight, one of my friends, Krista brought dinner for our family. It was so nice to not have to worry about one more thing, while we were trying to deal with everything. Also, my ward Relief Society Presidency came to visit tonight. It was good to see them and to introduce them to Zachary.
No comments:
Post a Comment